Florida Rentals Tips
Read these 11 Florida Rentals Tips tips to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Each tip is approved by our Editors and created by expert writers so great we call them Gurus. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Rental Home tips and hundreds of other topics.
How Should I Focus My Search Through Miami Apartments for Rent to Find Just the Right One?
The most important action plan you can use, after you decide you're going to examine Miami apartments for rent, is to narrow and focus your efforts on properties that interest you. Since this is difficult and sometimes impossible to accomplish by endlessly reading newspaper ads about Florida apartment rentals, you should consider specifying your criteria.
But, “What is my criteria?” you ask. Before you make a phone call, look at a newspaper, or use the Internet, spend time giving serious thought to what you really want in a new apartment. Just get a pad and pencil and create your personal wish list. A pencil may be preferable to a pen since the top of your wish list may change as you add items to the bottom. Make decisions on the number of bedrooms and bathrooms you want, formal or open dining room, kitchen preferences (size, layout, galley or eat-in, appliances, etc.), and location. Spending all the quality time necessary to create a list of criteria that mirrors what you really want is the most important part of the process.
Once you've identified a picture of your ideal property, use the Internet to search Miami apartment rentals. The better websites give you the ability to enter the critical components of your wish list (bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.). You'll only view those Florida apartment rentals that match your focus and criteria. You'll avoid all the wasted time and frustration that often occurs during a search for a new residence.
The added advantage of typically seeing one or more pictures of the apartment listing further helps you add or eliminate properties for your personal list. By narrowing your focus to only those properties that make your wish list, you may find the search for Miami apartments for rent becomes an enjoyable, not a tedious, experience.
Can I Use the Internet to Find Quality Miami Apartments for Rent?
Not only can you use the Internet to find quality Miami apartments for rent, but this is typically the best way to start and sometimes finish your search. As we are all aware, a search for the right apartment can become both tedious and frustrating. Using the Internet, however, may eliminate much of the wasted time and gasoline you might experience with a classic apartment search. Here's how to do it effectively.
- Visit a website that has great listings of apartments for rent in Miami. Instead of reading sometimes tedious and non-specific Florida apartment rental ads in newspapers, you view much more complete and exciting notification of Miami apartment rentals.
- Narrow your search by telling the database exactly what you want. You can specify the number of bedrooms, baths, rooms, location, amenities, etc. you'd like to have in your next residence. This eliminates real estate Florida ads that have no relevance to you.
- Take advantage of the digital picture array often attached to each listing to eliminate the Miami apartments for rent that don't appeal to you and bookmark the properties that are interesting. While this doesn't replace physically viewing the property, it does save you time and travel as you eliminate those Miami apartment rentals that “sound” interesting but don't measure up when you see the pictures.
- Once you've identified some apartments you like, contact the realtor, landlord, or management company offering the property. You'll only physically visit the Miami apartment rentals that you've already identified as interesting.
You may save yourself many frustrating hours of reading Florida apartment rentals ads, waiting on hold, and visiting units that hold no interest for you. You should find the apartment you want with much less frustration.
Will I Have a More Difficult Time Entering My Property in Miami Home Rentals as a Year Round Lease Versus as a Vacation Rental?
Deciding to rent your property as a year round home/apartment or as a vacation rental can sometimes appear confusing. We all want to make the “right” decision and enjoy the results. In this case, there often is no perfect decision.
You can enjoy success and profit from both methods. You probably understand the many similarities, so concentrating more on the differences might help you make the right decision. Consider the following factors and, possibly, your decision will become apparent.
- If you analyze available Miami apartments for rent and Miami home rentals, separate the properties into two categories: year round and vacation rentals. Ask yourself, “How does my property ‘fit' with either category?” Does your property appear to mirror apartments or homes for rent in Miami better as a year round or vacation rental?
- Conduct a market analysis of the rents being asked for comparable properties, both year round and vacation properties. Does your rental home seem to more closely align with a monthly lease amount or weekly rentals? Is there no real difference?
- Decide how “active” you believe you want to be. Remember, while it's attractive to mentally enjoy the excellent income you'll receive if you offer your property as a vacation rental, you must realize you'll have to be much more active in marketing your property, use many more written agreements, and accept the risk of some vacancy. If you'd rather perfect your couch potato skills, you'll be better suited to offer your home as a year round property, finding a good tenant for a year or longer, signing one agreement, and then putting your feet up.
Either choice can generate income and profit. Your choice depends on the location, condition, and design of your property as well as your personal preference to be more active or passive as a successful landlord.
What Things Should I Do Before I Make My House Available in Miami Home Rentals Databases?
Once you've decided to make your house available in Miami home rentals databases, there are a few more things you should consider. If you're new to the position of landlord, you've already made the most complex and difficult decision. Here are some tips to make your entry into the Miami homes for rent waters a successful venture:
- Conduct a serious market analysis of Miami home rentals to help you set the right rental price for your home. It is important that you know your market. Asking too little or too much will often result in unacceptable tenants or, worse, long term vacancy. Set your rental price within the range of comparable properties being offered in Miami homes for rent inventory.
- If something's broken, fix it. While unforeseen problems can always occur, you want to be sure your home is ready to go when you're ready to go.
- Give your home a new “face” if it's tired or worn. You want your property to sparkle when visited by prospective, qualified tenants. Not spending modest dollars for fresh paint, lighting, and/or carpeting might cost you thousands in vacancies and/or rental price reductions.
- Learn how to effectively screen prospective tenants. Once you've rented your home, it can be tedious to remove problem tenants. It is much more cost effective to use low priced screening tools (credit reports, background checks, references, and employment verifications) to learn if you've located the right renter.
Once you've made the decision to enter your property in one or more Miami home rentals databases, prepare your property – and yourself – for a successful business venture. Renting your property can be both enjoyable and profitable if you are prepared.
How Can I Narrow My Search of Miami Apartments for Rent?
Searching real estate Florida databases or Miami apartments for rent can be enjoyable, but often the number of listings and the time spent visiting properties that do not work for you can result in high frustration levels. It is wise to narrow your search as much as possible to save aggravation. However, looking at text-only ads in the newspaper or trying to describe what you want to a real estate agent over the telephone can still be an exercise in futility.
There is a way to narrow your search that will save you time, money, and frustration. Use the Internet to visit a home rental website to view only those Miami apartment rentals that fit your search criteria. Ask yourself how many bedrooms you need, the number of bathrooms you want, rooms you would like, exact location that is right for you, and the style you favor.
Most good rental websites will give you the opportunity to enter your criteria and show you only those properties that fit your search choices. Using this method, you've narrowed the search on your end by stipulating the basic features you want, and you've also found a “partner” that will listen and only give you choices that fit your criteria. You will most certainly appreciate the time and frustration savings you'll enjoy using a good home rental website.
What Is a Good Way to Look for Miami Apartments for Rent?
While you can certainly use word-of-mouth from friends and family, rental agencies, and local newspapers, often the most efficient way to look for Miami apartments for rent, for vacation, or year-round occupancy is through the Internet. Using a full-service website, you can search available Miami apartment rentals from the comfort of your home.
Not only will you have text descriptions of Florida apartment rentals, but you'll often be able to view one or more digital pictures of the exterior and interior of the Miami apartments for rent that pique your interest. This feature can be a major advantage to the word-of-mouth, rental agency, or newspaper options.
Even if your search is not a long distance adventure, using a database to conduct your initial search of Miami apartments for rent will save you time, money, and the aggravation of driving around the city (burning expensive gasoline) to view apartments for rent in Miami that have no interest for you. You can eliminate or add to your list of possibilities while still in your pajamas enjoying a cup of coffee.
When you find apartments in which you're interested, you can use the Internet to get all the information you need to arrange a visit and showing of the physical property. You will have eliminated all the apartments that might have appeared to be interesting but really were not for you. You'll spend your valuable time looking only at those Miami apartment rentals that appeal to you.
Besides Cost, What are Some Other Good Reasons to Consider Miami Home Rentals?
For most of us, cost is always an issue to be addressed and considered. Using the Internet, you should find Florida apartment rentals or Miami home rentals that can be occupied for similar or sometimes less cost than luxury hotels and resorts. But, there are often additional reasons to consider vacation real estate Florida offerings.
Even if you love traveling for your vacations, for a minute, think about some of the less attractive factors you often face. Here are a few than sometimes can be troublesome.
- Lack of privacy
- Your children are claustrophobic or bored
- Unfriendly pet policies
- Cramped quarters, even with luxury accommodations
Miami apartments and homes for rent often eliminate all of the above negatives and more. Miami apartments for rent often provide the privacy, space, kid- and pet-friendly solutions you want while on vacation. You might ask, what must you give up in trade for these advantages?
Very little. You probably won't have access to a concierge or room service. You may have to drive a few minutes to reach the beach. And you may not have daily maid service to place a little candy on your pillow. As you can see, you'll have to sacrifice very little to be able to “stretch out” in a comfortable home, condo, or apartment rental. In addition, you might still actually save money while enjoying these added benefits.
Should Many Miami Home Rentals Offer the Same Quality as a Good Hotel?
Miami home rentals or Miami apartments for rent not only offer quality equal to an upscale hotel, but may surpass many Florida resorts. Unlike beauty, quality is not merely in the eye of the beholder. Quality can be measured, proven, and fairly easily recognized.
There is a wide variety of Miami apartment rentals, condo and Miami homes for rent that contain equal or higher quality surroundings than even the best hotels and resorts. Many are equipped with excellent quality furniture and linens, big screen TV's and DVR's, and high-level appliances. Obviously, you're paying a great deal for location, but this isn't a camping trip, so you deserve high quality amenities too. You'll get what you want.
Along with the additional space, privacy, and comfort, you'll sometimes enjoy another advantage. With quality Miami home rentals available in a price range of $1,000 to $2,500 per week depending on location and time of year, you might even save some money on your vacation while enjoying additional benefits. While you may not have room service, you can stock your full-size refrigerator in your fully applianced kitchen with all the goodies you want. With quality surroundings equal to or superior to many hotels, renting a vacation home may further enhance your warm weather vacation.
Could I Save Money by Using Miami Home Rentals Instead of Staying at a Hotel?
Along with the additional space, comfort, privacy, and overall ambiance of staying in Miami home rentals or apartments for your vacation, you may even save money. Skeptical? Visit one of the wonderful websites, like Rentals.com, to see what's available in the areas you want. You'll probably find the vacation home you're craving. Here are a couple of real examples of what you might spend for the added space and comfort:
- 3-bedroom, 2-bath fully furnished waterfront home with your own pool. You can rent this beautiful home for $1,000 to $1,500 per week (depending on the time of year).
- Luxury condo with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, on the water, and even with maid service, rents for $1,239 to $2,593 per week (depending on the time of year) with exquisite furniture and all popular amenities.
This is merely a quick sampling of the properties that you'll find when you search Miami home rentals or Miami apartments for rent. There are, of course, many luxury hotels and resorts available where the sun is, but if you're traveling with your family or another couple, look at real estate Florida for some excellent house, condo, and apartment listings that may help improve your hours when not on the beach, boating, shopping, or exploring.
Why Should I Rent a Vacation Home Instead of Using a Hotel or Resort?
People often don't think of renting a home instead of going to a hotel or resort, but they should. For example, Miami home rentals are plentiful and offer a wide range of amenities and benefits that are often unavailable at many hotels and resorts. Here are some advantages and benefits you might enjoy with Miami homes for rent instead of staying in a hotel room.
- Privacy. Even those who love traveling for vacation and business often cite the lack of privacy as a consistent negative. Check out Miami homes for rent for vacation rentals that might give you the privacy you want at reasonable cost.
- Kid-friendly environment. If you've traveled with one or more young people, you are already aware how claustrophobic a hotel room can become. Whether you decide to focus on Miami apartments for rent or Miami home rentals, you'll learn about those vacation rentals that might be the most kid friendly.
- Pet friendly. Should you have one or more “furry kids” you want to take with you on vacation, homes for rent Miami might be a better choice than the best resort you can find. Not all Miami home rentals will accept pets, but many may roll out the red carpet for your four-legged family members.
- Comfort. While there are many wonderful and luxury hotel and resort choices in Florida, Miami home rentals may offer you an even higher level of comfort. You might enjoy the ability to really “spread out” instead of being confined to a hotel room or small suite.
You may be surprised that the cost to rent a vacation home is often comparable to – sometimes even less than – the cost of an upscale hotel room. Renting a vacation home for a full week may cost you only $140 to $250 per night. Having a whole house, condo, or apartment for your vacation might make it the best ever.
I Want to List My Property in Miami Apartments for Rent. What Things Should I Know Before I Do?
As with any other business, you should have a plan before you list your property in a Miami apartments for rent database. While your business plan need not be as complex as when you're starting a software or manufacturing company, it should contain a few important items. Here are some suggestions.
- Honestly assess the condition of your property. You're going to have “competition” trying to get their listings in the Florida apartment rentals marketplace. How does yours really measure up?
- If any systems or interior/exterior items need repair, fix them before you list your property. It is counter productive to tell prospective tenants that you're going to fix any obvious deficiencies in the “future.”
- A little TLC is inexpensive and may give you big returns. Is the paint, wallpaper, or carpeting a little long in the tooth? Again, be honest. If it appears to be a bit sub-standard to you, potential tenants may really be turned off.
- Set the correct rental price. A market analysis should provide all the information you need to arrive at a marketable monthly rental price. Use the Internet to examine some of your competition. Electronically “visit” some comparable apartments for rent Miami in your neighborhood. Learn what rental prices are for similar properties. Depending on your business plan to maximize profit and/or minimize vacancy, set your rental price level within the range of comparable properties.
- Prepare all necessary documentation in advance. You'll need a plan to screen (qualify) prospective tenants using a complete rental application, from which you can verify their creditworthiness, employment, and references. Print a one-page description (with a picture if possible) of your property to give to prospects and real estate brokers. Renters often search numerous properties and sometimes forget earlier viewings that they originally liked. Have a standard or customized rental or lease agreement ready to be completed once you find the right tenant.
When you've completed these few steps in your business plan, you're ready to list your property in a Miami apartment rentals database. A trustworthy website will give your property excellent exposure in Miami apartments for rent searches. And, you'll be ready to operate your business successfully.